Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday, February 25, 2011

Cold rainy nights like tonight are the times when I wish our fireplace worked. It’s original to our house, which started out as the artist studio to the house next door, built in the 1920s. Although it’s managed to withstand many an earthquake through the decades and is beautiful to look at, it is unreinforced brick without a fire box, and we’ve just been chicken to ever use it. After enjoying the ambiance of a fireplace at someone else’s home, I come home thinking about how much a usable fireplace would add to the atmosphere of our “big room.” But then I remember the breath-taking estimates we got years ago, and go back to lighting the candles that provide a surrogate glow in the hearth.

Truth be told, without Akemi home, I usually am holed up in my room, and even more so these past few weeks. When it rains, though, I like to read or take my computer out to the “big room” and listen to the rain really come down. With the first chemo “holiday” today in a month, I felt that I’m starting to be able to concentrate and think again. Anyone who has gone through chemo will tell you that “chemo brain” is frustratingly real. So while I have some operating brain cells, my rainy night project was to go through all my test results and chart them for analysis and reference going forward.

Now that that’s done, it’s time for another rainy-day tradition in our home: “hurricane” popcorn from Hawaii, seasoned with furikake with senbei.

No comments:

Post a Comment