Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday, July 16, 2011

You’ve probably heard that this weekend is supposed to be “Carmageddon” in Los Angeles, the traffic apocalypse of biblical proportions. From last night until early Monday morning, CalTrans has shut down ten miles of the always-busy 405 freeway connecting West Los Angeles to the San Fernando Valley to make road improvements.

The Westside might as well be a foreign country to us San Gabriel Valley residents but the fear has been that the traffic spill-over will create gridlock throughout the rest of the Southland. Just to avoid the possibility, my Pasadena friends and neighbors I’ve talked with are staying put – no one is going anywhere.

My prediction has been that Carmageddon will be a big bust. I, after all, have lived to tell tales of the traffic resulting from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. As in, there was none. Because workplaces staggered hours and otherwise did their civic parts to reduce car trips during peak commuting times, There. Was. No. Traffic. From my Paul, Hastings downtown high-rise office, I looked down at the ghost town FKA the 110 freeway.

No matter. After several weeks of in-and-out traveling, I planned on sticking close to home this weekend anyway. My vegetables were ready to pick and I came home from the Chicago trip more tired than I initially realized. I’ll wait to see Harry Potter 7.2 and have a couple of good books to finish to last out the rest of this Carmageddon weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment