Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday, July 14, 2012


In honor of Bastille Day, I supported the French economy by buying a Le Creuset cast-iron oven.

A couple of weeks ago for a four-family potluck, Jane brought two loaves of bread she made in her Le Creuset oven.  The bread was delicious and beautiful.  By the end of the evening, having thoroughly admired the artisanal quality of what Jane kept insisting was the easiest thing in the world to make, Erika, Ladell, and I were hooked.  We each decided we needed a Le Creuset oven of our own and this recipe.

Somehow I had missed the craze started by a Mark Bittman New York Times article a handful of years ago.  Akemi had been telling me about it since she had this bread in Boston made by a college friend of hers, but I hadn’t been convinced to spring for this pricey, heavy-duty casserole dish until I had had this first-hand experience.  Akemi and I seized some summer Saturday time today to do something we rarely do, which is to hike over to our nearest outlet mall in LA.  There we scored the oven size as Jane recommended for a considerably less-pricey price.  Early happy birthday to me, I guess.

I found this photo online, just to give you an idea of what we are shooting for.  We will start the dough and give you a report. 

Et voila!  Joyeux Quatorze Juillet!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes—fabulous no-knead artisan bread, and so easy! I bake mine in a ceramic dish. But the results are identical.

    ReplyDelete