Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Watching the JPL crew wait anxiously tonight for the time when the Curiosity is scheduled to land on Mars reminds me of watching the Gemini and Apollo lift-offs and splash-downs as a kid.

My dad, the thermodynamic expert, was part of the Saturn V rocket booster team with North American Aviation (before it became Rockwell and then Boeing).  My brothers and I shared in his excitement and nervousness over each mission.  We got to see many of the charred capsules once they returned to earth. 

Now, instead of a watching black-and-white images on a little TV screen in our Downey living room, Akemi has a live feed up on her laptop in our kitchen, taking a break from practicing, while I stir a summer batch of chutney with my garden tomatoes.

Time to hold some breaths with our JPL friends. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment