Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday, May 7, 2012

On Saturday the e-mail arrived in my inbox with the subject line, "It's on its way!"  After seven months of transformative renovation, my piano had been picked up by the shipper for its journey home.  It's due to arrive this evening.

I haven't been able to stop staring at this photo sent by the technician before it left his shop.  I have never been unhappy with the way my piano looked before, but now it seems like the ugly duckling has become a swan, with a new high-gloss finish, new white key tops, and new ebony keys. Check out that new Steinway label, now positioned correctly.  And that’s even before we get to the difference in how it will play.

I’ve cleared my calendar to start breaking in the new hammers, before the technician arrives on Wednesday to voice it.  Then we’ll see what it will start to sound like.

Thanks again, Dad, for making the call for the Steinway.  I hope you’ll be watching, and listening.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment